Thursday, July 5, 2012

Homemade Salsa

In my house. . .We can literally DRINK salsa!  We go thru it like crazy and thank goodness I was able to get this recipe from my friend Stephanie many, many, many moons ago cause we make it a little too often. This recipe is also fun to make up in bulk and give out as gifts at Christmas time.  I did that a few years ago when I was working as the Nursery Coordinator at our church.  I found very inexpensive off-brand plastic containers at our local store then filled them up with the salsa, tied a ribbon around the containers with a copy of the recipe.  Everyone raved about the salsa and the idea of using it as a gift.  I also submitted it to Money Saving Queen and she posted an article about it on her site HERE (Target gift card contest is EXPIRED).
I made 22 gifts and it only cost me $21.50















So I guess you are wanting my recipe HUH?  I have to give my friend Stephanie all the credit for this recipe. We had a Ladies Ministry gathering at our church at least 10 yrs ago where they had tables set up around our gym and ladies were demonstrating simple recipes and crafts.  You just walked from table to table watching their demonstrations and able to take the ideas/recipes/crafts home with you.  When I was pregnant with my oldest (who is almost 10), this is what I craved.  Weird I know but it at least it was healthy.  This is also a recipe that the kids can help with.  The boys helped me make some the other day as you will see in the pics.  One serving fills up 2 1/2 of the salsa jars you can get at the store (or approx a quart).  I periodically buy pre-made salsa then keep the jars that it comes in and just store the homemade in those.

So here it is...

Homemade Salsa
1/2 onion chopped
1 jalapeno (seeded and rib cut out for mild or leave in for medium/hot)
3 garlic cloves minced
5-10 cilantro leaves
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 large can whole tomatoes

Pulse everything in a food processor EXCEPT for the tomatoes a couple of times then add the tomatoes and continue pulsing til you get it the consistency you want.  Store in container or jar and keep refrigerated.


My salsa helpers
Mincing the garlic


Onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, sugar & salt
Pulse then add the tomatoes




Makes approx a quarts
My silly boys making bunny ears behind the salsa 

No comments:

Post a Comment