Friday, June 29, 2012

Hamburger Steak

My dad is a Hamburger Steak super fan!  When we go to restaurants, that is usually what he will order if it on the menu.  In fact, I was visiting them a couple days ago and we went out to eat and can you guess what he ordered. Yep, Hamburger Steak.  The taste-testers in my house also love it.  I even made it twice last week because we just couldn't get enough of it the first time.  My hubby likes to eat it as a hamburger which is fine by me but the kids and I like it without the bun.  Again this is a super easy recipe and the second time I made it I also made sweet potato fries.  Great combination if I do say so myself.

Hamburger Steaks
1-2 lbs of hamburger meat (depending on the size of your family)
1 yellow onion
1 can of beef broth
cornstarch
seasoning for patties if needed

Make your hamburger patties and begin browning them in a large skillet.  Slice the onion and sautee in either olive oil or butter.  Mix about 1 tbs of cornstarch with the beef broth and set aside.  When patties are about medium-rare and browned on both sides, add the broth mixture and onions on top of the patties. Cover and let lightly boil for about 5-10 minutes.  Remove patties from skillet and put into large bowl then scrape the bottom of the skillet to loosen up any of the drippings and let lightly boil again for about 3 mins.  If you want the broth thicker, add another tbs of cornstarch and stir in.  When done, pour over patties and they are now officially called steaks cause that is a lot more "manly" than patties.

Serve with baked sweet potato fries and warmed maple syrup for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment